During its July 7, 2020 meeting, the City of West Columbia City Council passed an emergency ordinance requiring face coverings in certain establishments in the city. The ordinance goes into effect at 6 AM on July 10, 2020, and expires on September 6, 2020. A summary of the ordinance is below.
Businesses, where masks are required, must place a “Notice” (poster, placard, or notification, which shall be at least 8”x11”) in a conspicuous place notifying the public of the requirement to wear a face covering.
Download our printable signs here:
Masks Required Signage – Downloadable PDF
Face coverings must be worn inside any Foodservice Establishment, Retail Establishment, Hair Salons, Nail Salons, Barber Shops, Personal Hygiene Establishments, Medical Offices, and City Building including:
- grocery stores;
- commercial stores engaged in the retail sale of goods or services to the public including
- sporting goods stores;
- furniture and home-furnishings stores;
- clothing, shoe, and clothing-accessory stores;
- jewelry, luggage, and leather goods stores;
- department stores;
- hardware and home-improvement stores;
- book, craft, and music stores;
- florists and flower stores;
- bars and taverns;
- all other stores that sell supplies for household consumption or use;
- alcoholic beverage stores; and
All Foodservice Establishments and Retail Establishments within the City must require every employee to wear a Face Covering at all times while having face-to-face interaction with the public or other employees or where social distancing of at least six feet cannot be observed at all times.
Face Covering will not be required:
- by any person who is unable to safely wear a Face Covering due to age or an underlying health condition;
- by any person who is physically unable to remove the Face Covering without the assistance of others;
- by all persons 10 years of age or under;
- all persons whose religious beliefs prevent them from wearing a Face Covering;
- any person in a private or individual office;
- where it is not feasible to wear a Face Covering, including
- persons receiving oral health services,
- persons swimming,
- engaging in athletic activities;
- for patrons of Foodservice Establishments while they are dining; and
- by police officers, firefighters, and other first responders when not practical or engaged in a public safety matter of an emergency nature.
Upon written request to the City, a Foodservice Establishment or Retail Establishment having the ability to isolate customers from employees and maintain social distancing may request a waiver of the Face Covering requirements. Waiver forms will be available from the City and submitted for registration and filing with the City. Copies of waiver forms and registration are available below:
Grocery stores, Pharmacies, Hair Salons, Nail Salons, Barber Shops, Personal Hygiene Establishments, and Medical Offices are not eligible for the exemption.
Violations are a civil infraction and will result in a fine of not more than $25.00 for each violation.
No person shall be required to disclose any information or provide any actual evidence as to their individual qualification for any exemption.
Complaints About Violations
Call the West Columbia Hotline at 803-939-8627
COVID-19 Business Resources
The City of West Columbia appreciates and supports our businesses. During the COVID-19 Crisis, this page will have a list of resources for our business community.
Greater Cayce West Columbia Chamber of Commerce: https://www.cwcchamber.com/cares-act.html
Here you will find a “Small Business Owner’s Guide To The CARES Act” resource, with detailed information about the Small Business Loan Program as well as the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) There are also links directly to the Small Business Administration, (SBA) site where you can apply for these programs online.
The following is other helpful information provided by the US Travel Association:
- Emergency Stabiliation Fund
- SBA* Coronavirus Economic Injury Disaster Loans
- SBA* Business Interupption Loans (Paycheck Protection Program)
- SBA* Express Loans
- Debt Relief for New & Existing Small Businesses
- Business Tax Relief
- Grants for Airports & Tourism
*Small Business Administration
Executive Orders issued by Governor Henry McMaster https://governor.sc.gov/executive-branch/executive-orders
The South Carolina Department of Commerce COVID-19 Business Resource Center https://sccommerce.com/doing-business-here/join-community/emergency-preparedness
Note: The City of West Columbia has temporarily waived online credit card payment processing charges for Business License Renewals, Court Tickets, and Water and Sewer payments until further notice.
We will continue to keep this page updated throughout the COVID-19 Crisis.
Please call or email the Director of Economic Development BJ Unthank with any questions. firstname.lastname@example.org or 803-497-6528
COVID-19 Personal Financial Assistance Information
Administers emergency aid in the county. Resources are offered to low-income families to help them get through a crisis. In addition, the agency’s case managers will partner with clients in an effort to assist in finding a longer-term solution. Apply for rental assistance or energy bill assistance (if faced with homelessness or eviction).
God’s Helping Hands
Help is offered to individuals and families in crisis. Apply for resources including clothing, food, rent, prescription medicine, utility bill, and medication assistance.
The agency tries to help meet the basic needs of food, clothing, and shelter. Other aid includes mortgage assistance, funds for rent, food vouchers, hotel vouchers, moving cost assistance, prescriptions, and money for paying energy bills.