IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND A DRUG FREE WORKPLACE.
The City of West Columbia appreciates your interest in our organization. The City provides a comprehensive benefits package to all full-time city employees, which includes health and life insurance, annual leave and sick leave. In addition, the City participates in the SC Retirement System.
Please download and complete the following City application, as it is required for all applicants. You may also submit a resume with your application.
City Employment Opportunities
APPLICATIONS ARE CURRENTLY BEING ACCEPTED FOR THE FOLLOWING POSITIONS:
Position hours: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. with some overtime, weekend, and on-call hours expected.
Job Duties including, but not limited to:
• Operates dump trucks and operates and maintains heavy equipment such as high-velocity machine, rodding machine, backhoe, tractor, water machine, sewer machine, pump, jackhammer, air compressor, shovel, hammer, saw, etc.
• Cleans sewer lines and catch basins; washes streets as needed; unclogs sewer lines, and breaks up roots and various other objects which may clog sewer lines.
• Operates small gasoline motors in order to operate water pumps used in flushing sewer lines and hose reels; utilizes rods in order to clean sewer lines.
• Transports personnel, equipment, and tools to job sites.
• Prepares and transmits required job completion/status reports in order to keep the supervisor informed of job progress.
• May operate a snow plow and sand spreaders during the winter season as needed.
Qualifications: High school diplomas and six to eleven months of work experience in equipment operation of construction, or any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the job duties. Must possess a valid SC driver’s license with no recent major violations. Must be able to receive certification in waste control management. Must be physically able to perform manual labor required for the position.
Salary: Minimum starting salary $27,817.40 or higher depending upon experience. Excellent benefits package includes 13 holidays and participation in the State Retirement System, the SC Deferred Compensation Plan, and the State Health Plan with the employee’s health and basic dental insurance premiums paid by the city.
How to apply: Application is available online at www.westcolumbiasc.gov and at the Customer Service Counter in the West Columbia City Hall, 200 N. 12th Street, West Columbia, SC 29169. Completed applications may be mailed to Carrie Garrett, Director of Human Resources, PO Box 4044, West Columbia, SC 29171-4044 or faxed to (803) 939-8634.
Position Open Until Filled.
The city of West Columbia is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The city does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, or disability.
Fire Department Employment Opportunities
The City of West Columbia Fire Department has an immediate opening for the position of Fire Captain. Under the direction of the Battalion Chief, this classification is responsible for performing, directing, and supervising activities of the fire station as a company officer on an assigned shift including fire suppression, emergency medical response, technical rescue, inspection, investigation, training, and all other support functions as assigned.
Salary Range: $48,154.83 – $67,417.77, DOQ
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Possess a High School Diploma or GED supplemented by a minimum of five (5) years progressive experience as a firefighter with one (1) year of fire service leadership experience.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS: Must possess a valid driver’s license issued by the State of South Carolina within ninety (90) days of position appointment. Must possess: NFPA 1001 Firefighter II, NFPA 1021 Fire Officer I, NFPA 472 Haz-Mat Operations, NFPA 1002 Pump Operator I and Driver Operator I certifications, preferably IFSAC or Pro Board or equivalent. Must possess National Registry EMT certification or higher or obtain NREMT certification within twenty-four (24) months of employment. (Please submit copies of certifications with application)
Applications are available at https://westcolumbiasc.gov/employment/ under the “Employment Opportunities” page. Applications can also be obtained in person at West Columbia City Hall, located at 200 N. 12th Street, West Columbia, SC 29169. Applications may be submitted via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or via postal mail: P.O. Box 4044, West Columbia, SC 29171, Attention: M. Solomon, Deputy Fire Chief. (Please Note, Submitted Applications Must Possess an Inked Signature) EOE
Applications will be accepted through 5:00 p.m. on February 5, 2021
Police Employment Opportunities
APPLICATIONS ARE CURRENTLY BEING ACCEPTED FOR THE FOLLOWING POSITIONS:
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Must be 21 years of age
• Must have a high school diploma or G.E.D.
• Must be a U.S. Citizen
• Must have basic computer skills
• Must have a valid S.C. driver’s license and be able to safely operate a motor vehicle under normal and emergency situations, sometimes at high speeds, in fair and inclement weather
• Must not have a disqualifying incident on driving record such as driving under the influence of alcohol or dangerous drugs, reckless homicide, involuntary manslaughter or leaving the scene of an accident, etc.
• Must be able to physically restrain another individual
• Must be able to physically defend oneself
• Must be able to maintain focus and mental preparedness of shifts of 12-14 hours
• Must be able to load a weapon as well as safely and accurately fire a semi-automatic weapon
• Must be able to successfully pass a medical exam to include vision, hearing, and color blindness to S.C. Criminal Justice Academy standards
• Must be able to see well in a low light environment
• Must be able to pass a drug test
• Must be able to pass a polygraph exam
• Must be able to pass a psychological test to establish suitability for the demands and stresses of law enforcement employment
• Must have a satisfactory credit history
• Must be of good moral character as determined by a background investigation
• Must be able to successfully pass a physical agility test that includes the ability to run, climb, jump, lift, and drag heavy weight (over 100 lbs.) within standards and times established by the S.C. Criminal Justice Academy.
• Must have good communication skills
• Must have no convictions for crimes of moral turpitude as defined in law
• Must be able to tolerate exposure to extreme heat, cold, humidity and inclement weather
Patrol Officer I (Non-Certified) – $39,964.09 – $55,950.21 salary range with budgeted merit and cost of living increases
Patrol Officer II (Certified) – $41,602.23 – $58,244.60 salary range with budgeted merit and cost of living increases.
Deadline: Position open until filled.
The City of West Columbia is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Fire Department Employee
Equal Employment Opportunity Plan
The City of West Columbia, South Carolina has received numerous grants through the US Department of Justice in recent years. Because of these grants, the City is required by the US Office for Civil Rights to maintain an Equal Employment Opportunity Plan (EEOP). The plan must be updated every two (2) years. In September 2015, the City updated its EEOP through a review of its employment and personnel policies and by conducting an analysis of current employee data.