IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND A DRUG FREE WORKPLACE.
The City of West Columbia appreciates your interest in our organization. The City provides a comprehensive benefits package to all full-time city employees, which includes health and life insurance, annual leave and sick leave. In addition, the City participates in the SC Retirement System.
Please download and complete the following City application, as it is required for all applicants. You may also submit a resume with your application.
City Employment Opportunities
APPLICATIONS ARE CURRENTLY BEING ACCEPTED FOR THE FOLLOWING POSITIONS:
Position hours: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. with some overtime, weekend, and on-call hours expected.
Job Duties including, but not limited to:
• Operates dump trucks and operates and maintains heavy equipment such as high-velocity machine, rodding machine, back hoe, tractor, water machine, sewer machine, pump, jack hammer, air compressor, shovel, hammer, saw, etc.
• Cleans sewer lines and catch basins; washes streets as needed; unclogs sewer lines; and breaks up roots and various other objects which may clog sewer lines.
• Operates small gasoline motors in order to operate water pumps used in flushing sewer lines and hose reels; utilizes rods in order to clean sewer lines.
• Transports personnel, equipment and tools to job sites.
• Prepares and transmits required job completion/status reports in order to keep supervisor informed of job progress.
• May operate snow plow and sand spreaders during winter season as needed.
Qualifications: High school diplomas and six to eleven months of work experience in equipment operation of construction, or any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the job duties. Must possess a valid SC driver’s license with no recent major violations. Must be able to receive certification in waste control management. Must be physically able to perform manual labor required for position.
Salary: Minimum starting salary $27,406.31 or higher depending upon experience. Excellent benefits package includes 13 holidays and participation in the State Retirement System, the SC Deferred Compensation Plan, and the State Health Plan with the employee’s health and basic dental insurance premiums paid by the city.
How to apply: Application is available on line at www.westcolumbiasc.gov and at the Customer Service Counter in the West Columbia City Hall, 200 N. 12th Street, West Columbia, SC 29169. Completed applications may be mailed to Carrie Garrett, Director of Human Resources, PO Box 4044, West Columbia, SC 29171-4044 or faxed to (803) 939-8634.
Position Open Until Filled.
The city of West Columbia is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The city does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, or disability.
Fire Department Employment Opportunities
Position hours: 24-hour rotating shifts – 24 hours on and 48 hours off
• Engages in providing efficient and immediate advanced life support (ALS) care to the critically ill or injured at the scene of the incident until the patient is transferred to the care of EMS or hospital personnel.
• Engages in fire suppression and rescue, fire prevention, community service, and training activities.
• Engages in equipment operation and maintenance, and fire station maintenance.
• High school or GED. Must possess a valid SC driver’s license within 90 days of employment. Must pass a criminal background check, a pre-employment drug screen, a written general aptitude test, and a physical ability test.
• Must have, or be able to obtain, specialized training covering interior firefighting up to NFPA Firefighter II, incident command, hazardous materials operations, auto extrication, and swift water rescue, or a certification accepted by the S.C. Fire Academy and or the Fire Chief as an equivalent for these certifications.
• Must have National Registry Paramedic Certification (NREMT-P), State of South Carolina Paramedic Certification, Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS), Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS), Basic Life Support (BLS).
Pay info: Starting salary $50,000 for candidates with less than 2 ½ years paramedic experience; starting salary $53,000 for candidates with more than 2 ½ years paramedic experience, with excellent benefits package including paid holidays and participation in SC Police Officers Retirement System (PORS), SC Deferred Compensation Plan, and the State Health Plan with the employee’s health and basic dental insurance premiums paid by the city.
How to apply: Employment application is available on line at www.westcolumbiasc.gov/employment or obtained in person at the Customer Service Counter in the West Columbia City Hall located at 200 N. 12th Street, West Columbia, SC 29169. Completed, signed applications (resume optional) may be mailed to the attention of Marquis Solomon, Deputy Chief, P. O. Box 4044, West Columbia, SC 29171-4044, or e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note: submitted application must have an inked signature.
Deadline: Open until filled.
The city of West Columbia is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The city does not discriminate based on race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin or disability.
Police Employment Opportunities
APPLICATIONS ARE CURRENTLY BEING ACCEPTED FOR THE FOLLOWING POSITIONS:
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Must be 21 years of age
• Must have a high school diploma or G.E.D.
• Must be a U.S. Citizen
• Must have basic computer skills
• Must have a valid S.C. driver’s license and be able to safely operate a motor vehicle under normal and emergency situations, sometimes at high speeds, in fair and inclement weather
• Must not have a disqualifying incident on driving record such as driving under the influence of alcohol or dangerous drugs, reckless homicide, involuntary manslaughter or leaving the scene of an accident, etc.
• Must be able to physically restrain another individual
• Must be able to physically defend oneself
• Must be able to maintain focus and mental preparedness of shifts of 12-14 hours
• Must be able to load a weapon as well as safely and accurately fire a semi-automatic weapon
• Must be able to successfully pass a medical exam to include vision, hearing, and color blindness to S.C. Criminal Justice Academy standards
• Must be able to see well in a low light environment
• Must be able to pass a drug test
• Must be able to pass a polygraph exam
• Must be able to pass a psychological test to establish suitability for the demands and stresses of law enforcement employment
• Must have a satisfactory credit history
• Must be of good moral character as determined by a background investigation
• Must be able to successfully pass a physical agility test that includes the ability to run, climb, jump, lift, and drag heavy weight (over 100 lbs.) within standards and times established by the S.C. Criminal Justice Academy.
• Must have good communication skills
• Must have no convictions for crimes of moral turpitude as defined in law
• Must be able to tolerate exposure to extreme heat, cold, humidity and inclement weather
Patrol Officer I (Non-Certified) – $39,964.09 – $55,950.21 salary range with budgeted merit and cost of living increases
Patrol Officer II (Certified) – $41,602.23 – $58,244.60 salary range with budgeted merit and cost of living increases.
Deadline: Position open until filled.
The City of West Columbia is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Fire Department Employee
Equal Employment Opportunity Plan
The City of West Columbia, South Carolina has received numerous grants through the US Department of Justice in recent years. Because of these grants, the City is required by the US Office for Civil Rights to maintain an Equal Employment Opportunity Plan (EEOP). The plan must be updated every two (2) years. In September 2015, the City updated its EEOP through a review of its employment and personnel policies and by conducting an analysis of current employee data.