There are seven necessary steps to follow if you are planning to build a new home or commercial building. These requirements also pertain to enlarging or renovating an existing home or commercial building.
- The project must have zoning approval.
- Landscaping plans are required for commercial construction projects.
- If the property is subject to flooding then flood elevation certification is needed.
- A contractor’s license is required for certain residential or commercial classifications.
– Master electrician for the electricity
– Master plumbing for the plumbing
– Master mechanic for gas and HVAC
- Plot plans and building plans must be submitted for review. Two stamped approved copies of each are needed; one to be kept on site and the other to be kept by the Building Official’s office.
- All permits must be obtained prior to starting any construction. The City of West Columbia uses the following published codes and inspections are done accordingly:
- 2015 ICC South Carolina Building Code
- 2015 International Plumbing Code
- 2015 International Mechanical Code
- 2015 International Fuel Gas Code
- 2015 ICC South Carolina Fire Code
- 2014 National Electrical Code
- 2009 International Energy Conservation Code
- 2009 ICC ANSI 117.1
- Upon final inspection, a certificate of occupancy must be obtained through the Building Official before occupying the premises.
For questions concerning Building Permits, please contact Stuart Jones, Building Official, at 803-791-1880 Ext. 286 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Building Permit Application
Electrical Permit Application
Gas Line Permit Application
Heating, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Permit Application
Plumbing Permit Application
Backflow Inspectors and Testers for Lexington County
Back Flow Device Test Report Form
Rental Housing Registration Forms
Zoning Application for a Building Permit